On Saturday I met up with Sarah. Actually, we wanted one of the naval vessels that were the basis for inspection of Fleet Week open. Unfortunately, the queues were so long that we spontaneously decided against it. So we went to Membertou 400, a party of Indians in Canada. It was set up tents where food and other jewelry was sold. There were also many tipis to visit. The festival opened with a parade and speeches. In addition to the Indians in their traditional costumes were also a few Mounties, a soldier with a British flag and Canadian Soldiers with a Canadian flag. It was very crowded, as there are about 150 people walked in the parade, be no dancing. They danced in a round box, which was surrounded by lots of viewers. Some benches were built, some had brought camping chairs, some sat easily on the lawn.
The music consisted of drums and chants. It was always announced, what song was from what tribe. They also had a special meaning all that I have not kept.
As you can see from the photos, were Indians of all age groups and genders dancing move. Selbst die Kleinsten.
Sie stellten sich einem Wettbewerb, der in Geschlecht, Alter (bei den Ladies netterweise unterteilt in Junior, Senior und Golden Age :-) und Tanzstil unterschieden wurde. Schiedsrichter mit Bewertungsbögen in der Hand schauten mit ernsten Gesichtern zu. Manchmal tanzten nur vier, manchmal vierzig in einer Gruppe. Einmal mußte ein kleines Mädchen alleine antreten; sie weinte den ganzen Tanz herzzerreißend, ob ihre Mutter sie begleitete, andere Kinder später dazukamen und wir als Publikum auch viel klatschten und sie unterstützten. Hoffentlich sie Bonuspunkte bekommen.....
Wenn ich den Moderator richtig verstanden habe, wurde genau auf die Schritte geschaut. Die Tänze were practiced.
It was very crowded at first, Sarah and I stood behind several rows of people and looked through the gaps. Later I found a place right in the front row and I must admit, there I sat fascinated for a while. Music and dances were just wonderful to watch. Then I released the next room for the spectators. By this constant change everyone had a chance to get a good view for some time.
0 comments:
Post a Comment